Not investment or financial advice. This is not an endorsement or recommendation to buy, sell or hold. The staff of this site may own the asset/s mentioned on this page. Investing is risky and you may lose all your capital. Do your own research. See full disclaimer.
We receive no direct payments from the mentioned companies. Some links on this page are affiliate links, at no extra cost to you, we may receive commissions when you use them. However, we try our best to keep our articles fair and balanced.
It is possible to make a passive income from video content. In this post, there is a focus on youtube, but there are other options out there.
Why Video and not text blogs? Because there are millions of blogs which compete for traffic, however, there are far fewer youtube channels. The return on investment on your time at this time is probably better on youtube than on WordPress.
Youtube videos work similar to blog posts once they are uploaded you do not need to maintain them, and they generate passive income. Read more: The pros and cons of passive income.
How to set up a youtube channel for passive income. Creating videos on youtube is easy.
- Your video needs to be advertiser-friendly.
- Apply for the YouTube Partner Program this is only available in certain countries,
- Enable Comments, Brand safety, Monetization, Subscriptions and then connect your channel to your Adsense account.
- Infringement of Copyright or community guidelines can have an impact on your revenue.
How to create an audience for your youtube channel
Customer first. Create a Niche which you can serve efficiently. Turn your audience into fans.
Create videos which viewers will look for and will rank well in Google and Youtube search.
Videos which have evergreen content enable you to earn passive income for far longer than videos which only have a limited time in which they offer value. For example, a video on how to teach a dog to fetch a ball is timeless while a video on the weather tomorrow is only valid today.
- Make it easy for your audience to navigate your channel
- The channel trailer must explain what your channel is about in less than a minute.
- Thumbnails should have the same style
- Keep your video schedule
- Create playlists to encourage binge-watching your content
- Cross-link your videos using in video links and YouTube Cards
- Create twinnings and collaborations with other Youtube Channels
- Engage with other non-Youtube communities both online such as Twitter, Instagram etc
- Listen to your audience and adapt your videos accordingly
- Monitor Comments in your videos, monitoring your analytics and using sites such as Social Blade will help you create content which is of more value to your viewers. These will provide with important targeted keywords which will give you further ideas on new videos.
- Adding detail descriptions will also help you address any issues which your audience might have afterwards, this will also let Google and other search engines know what the video is about and would enable you to much as possible in your description section.
- Google Keyword planner is another important source of analytics and content ideas
- Establishing your authority and become a leader in your niche
- Fish for likes and comments in your videos this increases the rank in your videos
- Entice viewers by using:
- Call to Action in Your Videos
- YouTube Cards
- Relevant Links to Your Video Descriptions
How can one make a Passive Income from YouTube Channels
- Adsense or youtube ads
- Selling Products for others or yourself https://www.shopify.com
- Become an influencer; Sponsored Product reviews, Brand Awareness – sponsored and endorsed content, Shopify Storytellers
- Donations through sites such as Patreon and Tippee
- Crowdfund your project by using Kickstarter and Indiegogo
- Use Grapevine Logic, Fame bit, Channel Pages, Crowdtap Seel also: YouTube’s Guide to Paid Product Placement. to connect to marketers
- Selling or licensing content on Vimeo on demand
- Transition Into live speaking engagements.
- Provide additional video content on sites such as Yondo
- Affiliate Marketing on sites such as Click Bank or Amazon’s Affiliate network
- Sell rights to your content on sites such as Juken Media
How much money can be earned from youtube
Risks / Disadvantages of passive income from youtube channels
- Competition is getting tougher, more organised and more professional
- The more important a channel becomes, the more difficult it is to compete
- You need to earn at least $100 to have that transferred to your account.
- Youtube has been censoring “certain” videos, and many people have seen this as an attack on the freedom of speech.
- Google takes 45% of ad revenue
- You have little control on your channel (especially if you get banned)
- Easier to seel a website than a youtube channel.
Passive income is possible on youtube, the key ingredients are probably persistence, finding the right niche and understanding your audience. It takes time and creativity and thinking about your customer and using all possible different ways to monetize the content. There are other ways to earn passive income such as building a stock passive income portfolio, rental property or even from crypto projects.